[SAOVA_South] SAOVA First Annual Legislative Awards

Sportsmen's and Animal Owners' Voting Alliance (SAOVA) saova_south at mailman.montana.com
Fri Apr 23 18:30:54 MDT 2010

SAOVA First Annual Legislative Awards

Dear SAOVA Friends,

SAOVA is proud to announce our Annual Legislative Award program and honor
the state legislators who were our first recipients.

During legislative sessions burdened with emotion, these legislators clearly
demonstrated their commitment to continue working with animal owners and
sportsmen to preserve property rights and assure protection of our sporting
heritage.

Each legislator understands firsthand the many challenges facing citizens
involved in all facets of the animal industry and realizes that overzealous
animal protection legislation can negatively impact responsible animal
owners and sportsmen.

Collectively these legislators displayed outstanding leadership assisting
their colleagues in making informed decisions about animal issues using
factual, scientific data from experts in veterinary science and animal
husbandry.

As an example, Representative Mark Homer (TX) received an award for
authoring a bill that reinstated the right to appeal in civil animal cruelty
cases.

After the existing statute was ruled unconstitutional, Mississippi Senator
J. P. Wilemon has worked with stakeholders to introduce an animal cruelty
bill that would protect animals while preserving the constitutional rights
of their owners.

Montana Representative Edward Butcher demonstrated leadership skills in
response to the growing concern over the fate of unwanted horses by
introducing legislation aimed at providing a humane and regulated processing
plant as an option for Montana ranchers and horse owners.

Illinois Representative David Reis served on the IL Dog Task Force and was
instrumental in defending Illinois citizens' right to own, field trial, and
breed dogs against proposed overbearing regulations.

Each legislator on our 2009 Award list is a champion for animal owners in
their own right. SAOVA along with our state volunteers appreciate the
support they have shown us.

Representative Ed Butcher (MT) Legislator of the Year 2009

Senator Stan Gerzofsky (ME) Legislator of the Year 2009

Representative David Reis (IL) Legislator of the Year 2009

Delegate Ed Scott (VA) Legislator of the Year 2009

Senator Mimi Walters (CA) Legislator of the Year 2009

Senator J. P. Wilemon, Jr. (MS) Legislator of the Year 2009

Representative Charles Anderson (TX) Legislative Leader 2009

Senator Mae Beavers (TN) Legislative Leader 2009

Representative Steve Drazkowski (MN) Legislative Leader 2009

Representative Dan Flynn (TX) Legislative Leader 2009

Representative Rod Hamilton (MN) Legislative Leader 2009

Representative Dewey L. Hill (NC) Legislative Leader 2009

Representative Mark Homer (TX) Legislative Leader 2009

Representative Edmund Kuempel (TX) Legislative Leader 2009

Representative Frank Niceley (TN) Legislative Leader 2009

Representative Jason Smith (MO) Legislative Leader 2009

Representative Fred Steen (NC) Legislative Leader 2009

Senator Jerry Tillman (NC) Legislative Leader 2009

Representative Jim Viebrock (MO) Legislative Leader 2009

Representative Arthur Williams (NC) Legislative Leader 2009

The commitment demonstrated by the 2009 Legislative Award Recipients is
exemplified in this quote from Representative Steve Drazkowski (MN),
"Through continued vigilance in the legislative process and by educating
people about the true agenda of the animal rights movement, we can ensure
that our God-given rights to own, show, hunt, raise and sell animals, will
be preserved."

Visit the new Legislative Awards page on the SAOVA website
http://www.saova.org/awards.html and join us in honoring this group of state
legislators.

The world not only belongs to those who show up, it's controlled by the best
informed and most motivated.

Susan Wolf
Sportsmen's and Animal Owners' Voting Alliance -  <http://saova.org/>
http://saova.org
Issue lobbying and working to identify and elect supportive legislators

Be a SAOVA volunteer.  Contact saova at earthlink.net